What does B vitamins and omega-3 have to do with mental illness and brain function?
Mental illness has once again been brought to our attention by the recent killing spree a young college student went on in Santa Barbara, CA. We can blame lots of different things on the cause of mental illness. However once again I want to suggest nutrition as being a possible contributing factor.
A few months ago another killing spree was the topic of another of my blogs. I discussed many of the possible causes of violence and “Why?”
Quote from “Nutrition, Violence and Safety”
“Some of the more common answers are guns/weapons of all types, violent video games, movies, TV shows, sugar, breakdown of core/family values, poor self-esteem, drugs, forsaking God; and of course, the big one, terrorism which is very much alive in the world today.”
The brain is a complex and energy demanding organ that serves as the center of the nervous system. Malnutrition can compromise all functions.
Pellagra is a vitamin deficiency disease known as ‘the 4 D’s; diarrhea, dermatitis, dementia, and death. It is most often caused by a deficiency of niacin (vitamin B3.) Common symptoms are:
- Sensitivity to sunlight
- Dermatitis (skin conditions)
- Hair loss
- Edema (swelling)
- Tongue inflammation
- Mental confusion
- Ataxia (lack of coordination)
- Paralysis of extremities
- Nerve damage
- Enlarged, weakened heart
Consider the health benefits of B vitamins:
- Helps prevent birth defects having to do with the spine and the brain.
- Supports heart health directly linked to buildup of homocysteine, a toxic substance.
- Regulates neurotransmitters in the brain which control alertness and mood (Even a mild deficiency of B vitamins can lead to clouding of the mind.)
- Supports immune function it is quite common for chemo patients to need extra B vitamins – perhaps the cause of ‘chemo brain.’
- Critical to the nervous system – aids in metabolism, digestion, energy, and growth. Deficiencies can lead to muscle weakness, inflammation, skin disorders, infertility, sensitivity to pain, and numbness or tingling of feet or hands.
A deficiency of B vitamins is a common form of malnutrition.
- B vitamins are water soluble and must be eaten daily; they are not stored in the body.
- Refining, canning, and overcooking contribute to the destruction of B vitamins. A huge percentage is lost when wheat is milled into white flour.
- Medications, alcohol, caffeine, stress, infections, and other physical conditions can destroy B vitamins.
- Special diets that eliminate entire food groups can increase the risk of being deficient in B vitamins. Examples could be gluten free, dairy free or vegan diets.
Depletion of B vitamins:
- Food refining – depletes natural nutrients including the removal of natural essential oils.
- Food selection – a diet of balanced nutrients will help prevent vitamin deficiencies.
- High corn diets – corn has nutritional benefits however the form of niacin in corn is indigestible.
Whole food sources of B vitamins are – notice that most of these foods contain natural essential fatty acids:
- Meat from fish, beef, or poultry
- Dairy – milk, yogurt, cheese
- Grains and legumes such as wheat, rice and soy
- Vegetables and fruits
Omega-3 fatty acids are critical for the function of B complex vitamins. Manic-depression and schizophrenia both have been shown to respond positively to a combination of omega-3 fatty acids and B complex vitamins.
- A 25% improvement has been shown in those in a mental hospital for 5+ years.
- A 50% improvement shown in those not in a mental hospital but with a mental condition for 5+ years
- A 75% improvement shown in those who have had a mental condition for 2 to 5 years
- A 90% improvement shown in those who have only had a mental condition for 1 year
- Postpartum depression
- Major depression
- Bipolar disorder
- Attention deficit
- Memory loss
- Cognitive impairment/dementia
Unfortunately much of this information has been rejected by the psychiatric medical establishment.
- Their focus is on pharmaceuticals rather than nutrients.
- Standard medical information is controlled by the pharmaceutical industry.
- Physicians and psychiatrists learn and practice under the control of big pharma. They are often threatened that they might lose their licenses if they stray from this control.
The brother of one of my friends was committed to a mental institution as a young adult. He was in a padded room for his own protection. My friend and his mother signed to get him out and started providing him with high amounts of good nutritional supplements and a healthy diet. The brother recovered, married, had a family, and became a responsible member of society.
So what does B vitamins and omega-3 have to do with mental illness and brain function?
Could this latest killing spree in Santa Barbara, CA have been avoided if the young man would have supplemented with quality omega-3 and B complex vitamins? I do not know but wouldn’t it be worth considering supplementation for anyone with any of the above conditions or symptoms?
Let me know what you think in the comment section below.
“An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.”
By Benjamin Franklin
- Complete B-vitamin family in natural ratios
- Provides support during exercise and periods of stress
- Exclusive Threshold Control makes vitamins available throughout the day
- Based on pure, natural salmon oil – one of nature’s richest sources of omega-3 fatty acids
- Exclusive NeoLife technology that boosts, stabilizes, and standardizes omega-3 fatty acid levels
- First supplement to assure standardized amounts of all 8 members of the omega-3 family involved in human nutrition
- Leading edge technology delivers potency, purity, and consistency of nutrients from tuna, sardines, and anchovies; while eliminating or reducing others
- Safe, free toxins; only the finest, top quality, health-screened, disease-free fish selected for human consumption are used – screened for more than 200 potential contaminants with an allowable detection limit of ZERO
- Guaranteed to deliver 460 mg EPA, 480 mg DHA, 50 mg DPA, and 80 mg mixed omega-3 fatty acids with every 3-capsule serving
Order Super B Threshold Control right here: Click here!
Order NeoLife Salmon Oil Plus right here: Click here!
Listen to more info about NeoLife Salmon Oil Plus!
Join The NeoLife Club and Save! Buy at my cost!
Let's connect on Facebook!
Pat has been married to the same man for 52 years, is the mother of 3 adult children, and grandma to 8 grandchildren. Growing up in the country gave her a head start to living a healthy lifestyle. This grandma became interested in nutrition as a mother and for the past 27 plus years she has specialized in teaching others the importance of good nutrition. Challenges along the road have been many; her father overcoming congestive heart failure with nutrition, her husband's battle with GERD and dealing with major heart issues, her daughter's battle with a brain tumor, her grandson beating Hodgkin's Lymphoma, her mother's stage 4 lung cancer, her mom-n-law's dementia, and others. Her goal is to empower the future health of others with wisdom, knowledge and common sense so they can have the BEST REAL HEALTH possible.
Partner Up with Pat in having the Best Real Health possible.
Only $69 to join with us and receive 2 bottles of Tre-en-en with your Distributorship (Retail value $82.90)
Typically $49 to join as a Distributor! www.bestrealhealth.gnld.net
The Health and Wellness Revolution is here Now … The Home Business Revolution is here Now!
Get Started Right Now! Join the New NeoLife Club!
Galatians 5:22-23 – But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.
(All information on this blog site is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Information on this site has not been approved by the Food and Drug Administration.)
Copyright© 2014 Pat Moon – All Rights Reserved!