Response to “Study Finds Vitamin E May Increase Risk of Prostate Cancer”
What is the real truth about vitamin E? Vitamin E has been studied extensively over the past 2 or 3 decades and has been found to be a powerful nutrient. That means that any question as to its safety and effectiveness also receives a lot of attention.
An article published on October 11, 2011 caught my attention when the headlines indicated that vitamin E can increase the risk of prostate cancer. Whoa! How can this be possible when there are so many health benefits from supplementing with vitamin E?
My immediate thought was, “What kind of vitamin E was used in this study?” The article did not indicate what vitamin E supplement was used in the study! This is very, very important.
My questions about this study are:
1. Did they use a vitamin E supplement that contains the entire E family? Many vitamin E supplements are made of only alpha-tocopherol because it is the cheapest part of the E family to produce. There are 7 other members of the E family and they all work together to give the best results. If only one member is missing the other members cannot function as they should.
2. Was the source of the vitamin E supplement they used 100% food-based? When a supplement is 100% food-based, you receive the combination of nutrients nature planned for you.
3. Did they use a lower cost, petrochemical-based synthetic form of vitamin E? A natural food-based vitamin E has twice the potency of synthetic.
4. There are other questions to ask such as: is the oil based vitamin E easily absorbed and protected from oxidation prior to consumption?
I did go to the abstract of the above referenced study as published in the Journal of the American Medical Association. My understanding from reading the abstract is that only alpha tocopherol was used and if it was from a petrochemical source, there is no wonder it increased the risk of prostate cancer! The abstract was not clear about that.
Now let us focus on the positive side of the many benefits of supplementing with a quality vitamin E:
· Supports upper respiratory health for the elderly especially those infections associated with the common cold.
· Protects athletes from oxidative stress and inflammation caused by exercise.
· May help prevent ALS, commonly known as Lou Gehrig’s Disease.
· Helps prevent heart attacks and provides other heart healthy benefits.
· Helps build a good immune system.
· Promotes normal blood sugar levels.
· Helps promote healthy skin.
· Protects the body against free radicals (cancer causing agents).
· Promotes healthy circulation and normal cholesterol.
· Benefits joint problems such as arthritis.
· Slows the aging process and improves energy levels.
· Beneficial for premenstrual syndrome, leg cramps, and blood clotting.
· Blocks the cancer-causing nitrosamines from preservatives such as nitrites.
· Regulates metabolism.
· Prevents or minimizes neurologic disorders.
· Minimizes the risk of eye disease such as cataracts and macular degeneration.
Healthy food choices for vitamin E although it is difficult to get the entire E you need from just the foods you eat because of the amounts you would need to eat!
Whole wheat bread (I prefer sprouted grain bread)
You decide whether you need to supplement with vitamin E and what vitamin E you will use. There is plenty of proof that vitamin E is one of the most important nutrients your body needs for long-term good health. Now you know some of the real truths about vitamin E.
Make Wise Choices for Your Health!
Pat is a grandmother who started as an Independent GNLD Distributor in 1985 because of family health concerns. After experiencing positive results for several family members, she chose to share the whole food nutritional supplements and natural vitamins with other people. Her confidence in GNLD'S Whole Food Nutritional Supplements and Natural Vitamins has continued to grow because they work. Her goal is to help others have the BEST REAL HEALTH possible and slow the aging process. The products Pat uses and features are:
- A great weight loss program
- Balanced protein energy drinks for rejuvenating, power, and energy.
- Whole food antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals to slow the aging process.
- Heart protection.
- Enhanced immune system.
- Enhanced digestion.
- Bone and joint protection and pain relief.
- Herbal Alternatives to optimize wellness.
- Reducing fine line and wrinkles, increasing moisture in the skin, and protecting the skin
- Biodegradable, concentrated, low dose, low burden cleaning products.
Join Pat in having the Best Real Health possible.
Typically $49 to join as a Distributor!
Galatians 5:22-23 – But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.
All information on this blog site is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Information on this site has not been approved by the Food and Drug Administration.
Unauthorized duplication or publication of any materials from this site is expressly prohibited. Copyright© 2011 Best Real Health – All Rights Reserved!.